Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Negligence

There are a lot of young children who raft the Nantahala. The age requirement is quite low, and the river is a nice introduction to whitewater. However, moving water is always dangerous and rafters on the Nantahala, particularly those who rent boats without guides, would do well to remember that.

During my trip this morning, I watched a small NOC raft float by. It was manned by two children who looked like they couldn't be more than ten, maybe twelve. They looked like they were doing okay at that point in their journey, just cruising along, but I was nervous about larger rapids further downriver. Even the guests in my boat, who didn't know what was coming, expressed concern about such young boys, adrift and left to their own devices. We didn't see them again for a long time, but when we did, they were in big trouble.

Just before the falls, there is a water feature called the Bump. In fact, there is a big sign hung from a tree  above it to warn boaters of its existence. The Bump is dangerous because it can grab whatever lands in its path and hold on to it. The boys' raft was stuck in the Bump, but only one boy was still in it. The other was clinging to the raft, trying not to be sucked under. The boy in the raft was obviously in panic-mode. He was practically in tears. 

When I came upon the scene, a rescue was in progress. Another guide was preparing to throw a rope. I was already off the preferred line at that point, so I just swept over, squared up, and bumped my (larger) raft into theirs. They were pushed out of the danger zone, the kid in the raft pulled the one in the water out, and they were fine. 

But they never should have been there in first place. People have died from similar situations on the Nantahala. I hope the parents of those two boys got a firm talking-to. It's a lot easier to avoid danger than to save someone from it. And saving those kids was not in my job description.

No comments:

Post a Comment